If you run out of hand sanitiser, here’s a simple formula you can make at home.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- 3/4 cup of isopropyl or rubbing alcohol (99 percent) (you can buy this from Chemists)
- 1/4 cup of natural aloe vera gel (helps keep the hands smooth and counteracts the harshness of alcohol)
- Add 6 drops of either of the following Australian native botanical essential oils for their calming and uplifting fragrance as well as their antiseptic, anti-bacterial, anti-microbial properties:
Native lemon myrtle essential oil
Native peppermint gum essential oil
Native niaouli essential oil
Alternatively, you could add a blend of 2 drops of each = 6 drops in total.
- Pour all ingredients into a bowl or jug.
- Mix with a spoon and then beat with a whisk to turn the sanitizer into a gel.
- Pour the ingredients into an empty bottle for easy use, and label it “hand sanitizer.”
Always do a safety small skin test before applying to check against your allergies and any irritation. If pregnant, don’t apply any essential oil products.